Q: I'm considering a Mandy Thompson deck, and I wondered about her reaction ability and cards like Old Book of Lore and Guided by the Unseen, where the find has a cost. Do you pay the cost to activate the card you find once (effectively replacing "Pay XX to ... that card" with "Pay XX to ... those cards")? Or do you have to pay the cost for each instance, "Pay XX to ... that card" becoming "Pay XX for each card that you want to ..."? A: Mandy’s ability to “resolve 1 additional target of the search” can be thought of as treating the additional target just like the original target. To be more specific:
- With Old Book of Lore, the investigator searches the top 3 cards of their deck for two total cards, draws them, and shuffles their deck; then, for each card, they can spend one secret to immediately play it at a reduced cost. (They would not have to play both cards.)
- For Guided by the Unseen, the investigator may search the top 3 cards of their deck for two total cards to commit, then, for each card, they can spend one secret to commit the card. (They would not have to commit both.)
Q: Knowledge is Power reads: "Resolve an or on that asset, ignoring all costs." Old Book of Lore reads: " ... may spend 1 secret to have that investigator immediately play that card". If I use Knowledge is Power on Old Book of Lore, do I need to spend a secret to use the "immediately play that card" part of the ability? Clearly Knowledge is Power does not allow me to ignore any costs of the card I'm about to play (c.f. ruling on De Vermis Mysteriis), but does the "may X to Y" templating here mean spending a secret here a cost? A: Knowledge is Power allows you to ignore ability costs on the chosen asset, which includes costs printed in its text box; this means you are able to immediately play the card you fetched with Old Book of Lore without spending 1 secret.
Cost: 2. XP: 3.
Uses (2 secrets).
Exhaust Old Book of Lore: Choose an investigator at your location. That investigator searches the top 3 cards of their deck for a card, draws it, and shuffles their deck. Then, you may spend 1 secret to have that investigator immediately play that card, reducing its cost by 2.
Revised Core Set #186.
- Old Book of Lore Core Set #31
- Old Book of Lore Revised Core Set #31
- Old Book of Lore (3) Where the Gods Dwell #279
FAQs (taken from the official FAQ or FFG's responses to the official rules question form)
No review yet for this card.