- Removing up to 3 chaos tokens is very strong when paired with The Chthonian Stone.
- For example you could remove , and the worst modifier, like -4 on standard. Except for , this guarantees success of your test.
- This card gets better in multiplayer, as everyone benefits but costs do not increase.
- Increases the chance of all other tokens, like and .
- Playing this card comes at a high cost however, occupying 1-2 arcane slots and draining 1-2 ressources each turn. Most mystics shouldn't play this, as they need both slots and many ressources for their spells. Characters who can be built around this:
- Daisy Walker: If she's focused on seeker cards, she does not need her arcane slots. Can use ressources from Dr. Milan Christopher to mitigate costs.
- Sefina Rousseau: Similar to daisy, focusing her deck on rogue cards keeps her arcane slots free and gives her access to economy cards like Hot Streak 2, Lone Wolf and "Watch this!". Alternatively, if she plays only one Protective Incantation she can use the other arcane slot for either or . If necessary she can use rogue cards to fill the other roll (Lockpicks or Lupara are strong optoins)
- Carolyn Fern: Her deck options and economy ability easily qualify for this card. Including Peter Sylvestre and Forbidden Knowledge is very useful to trigger her ability.
- Jim Culver: As primary mystic, playing two of these should be avoided. But his flex slots and balanced stat line allow him some tricks, like including economy cards from rogue and non-mysthic weapons, like Machete. So he could use his arcane slot for Rite of Seeking and one hand for . Or Shrivelling for and Magnifying Glass + mysthic boosts for investigation (St. Hubert's Key and Alyssa Graham).
- Lola Hayes: Her flexible deck options easily qualify, but her bigger deck makes it hard to draw even one. Avoid other spells, so you never need to switch to mystic after playing these.
Group limit 2 copies of Protective Incantation in play.
Seal (any except ).
Forced - At the end of your turn: You must either spend 1 resource or discard Protective Incantation.
The economy boost your entire group gets from not having to boost/commit cards to cover that -5, is that worth 1 resource a turn?
I say yes.
Is it worth an arcane slot? Hmmmmmm.
Rich via Dr. Milan Daisy Walker is taking this all day long.
Great Card, you could always use 2 copies on a single investigator that has the ability to take it and has the Mystic aspect as secondary. It seems to me though that if a single investigator has two copies in play, the act of spending one resource covers both of the copies. It is not obvious that this can't be the case, since that would take up both your arcane slots and that would be enough trade of as it is. Anyone has a citation that officially states wether you have to pay 2 resources if you have two copies out, instead of 1 resource ?