- Q: For the card Storm of Spirits and Mk 1 Grenades, the text reads: "(any additional damage is dealt to the attacked enemy)". What does the "additional damage" refer to? Also, regarding the "Mk 1 Grenades", can these be used with "Marksmanship" because they have the "Ranged" keyword? A: The text “any additional damage is dealt to the attacked enemy” refers to any other effects which might add to the attack’s damage, such as Vicious Blow or, indeed, Marksmanship. For example, if you used the grenades on an enemy and committed Vicious Blow to the skill test, the attacked enemy would take the additional +1 damage from Vicious Blow, but Vicious Blow would not affect the damage dealt to all of the other enemies at the location. As for Marksmanship, yes, you can absolutely use it with the Grenades! As with the above example, the bonus +1 damage from Marksmanship would be dealt to the attacked enemy, and not to the other enemies at the location.
Item. Weapon. Ranged.
Uses (3 supplies). If Mk 1 Grenades has no supplies, discard it.
Spend 1 supply: Fight. You get +2 for this attack. If this attack is successful, instead of its standard damage, this attack deals 2 damage to each enemy and each other investigator at your location (any additional damage is dealt to the attacked enemy).
Avoiding damage to other players
- Emergency Aid to heal other players afterward
- Attack with Blackjack 2 instead of grenades
- True Grit, Brother Xavier or Agency Backup to take their damage
- Pass your Armor of Ardennes around with Teamwork
- If you have access to seeker, Shortcut to send other players away. However enemies engaged with them will leave as well, you could use Taunt before that
- Emergency Cache 3, Contraband or Venturer to reload
- Marksmanship to attack a connecting location
- Vicious Blow for more damage on the primary target
This is not a review so much as a response to the FAQ entry on the interaction between Mk 1 Grenades and Marksmanship. It ends with a statement that “the bonus +1 damage from Marksmanship would be dealt to the attacked enemy, and not to the other enemies at the location.” This is not necessarily true, it should be clear that the Grenades won’t deal ANY damage ‘to the other enemies at the location’ or even ‘the attacked enemy’ if you targeted an enemy at an adjacent location. Mk 1 Grenades damage ‘each enemy and each other investigator at YOUR location’ INSTEAD of its standard damage. Because it won’t deal any damage to the attacked enemy from the attack, it can’t deal additional damage for the same reason that Deduction can’t discover additional clues when used with Burglary or Unearth the Ancients.
If FFG wants the Mk 1 Grenades to work with Marksmanship, they would need to say ‘each enemy and each other investigator at the attacked enemy’s location.’ Or have Marksmanship work like Luke’s ability where you Fight as if you were there.
(If Marksmanship is used on an enemy at your location, of course the additional damage will apply if the condition is met.)