|Card draw simulator|
Odds: 0% – 0% – 0% more
|None. Self-made deck here.|
StartWithTheName · 9348
This is a thematic blades and fanaticism Zoey build. I cant be the only one who has been dying to play her in this style, and im happy to say this seems to work well and has that swift hunter seeker feel.
Its been refined over a few hard mode runs of various scenarios paired with a variant of my current Finn deck. They've comfortably cleared up to lost in time and space in Dunwich and im hoping to try that and Carcosa soon. Im yet to try it in TFA so if anyone does give it a bash please let me know how it went (Tip: Keep Take the Initiative and Ward of Protection back for tests).
TASTING MENU (TL:DR / Overview)
A fast, thematic, and effective, blades and zealotry Zoey build capitalising on the fact that Timeworn Brand offers the equivalent to the common Machete with passive +1 from a Beat Cop setup. The tempo advantage of this huge, replacing a previous two card combo with a single tutorable card. Or if you did draw Machete first, you're still only looking for one more card for the same +2 +1 damage, minimal drawbacks rig.
Cash is plentiful so, any time you have a spare action, draw
High hp enemies are dealt with swiftly through numerous burst damage options. Note that Blood Eclipse can be used to detonate Bro X, and that Double or Nothing + Brand’s one shot or a max Eclipse both attack for 8 damage at base 8 to 10 ish before any other boosts, so they land reliably and hard. Note also that Zoey's Cross allows you to reliably kill 3hp enemies (seemingly the new norm in TFA) in one action.
This leaves space for a high synergy low cost event suite with zoeys cash paying for all the big ticket assets. On the Hunt and "Let me handle this!" provide enemies to fuel auto clues. This also avoids the need for Cache bursts, or the actions to play them.
APPETISERS (Campaign Starter)
For practical reasons I actually just start like this and slowly convert over (It's not long before you get the brands anyway):
- Timeworn Brand = .45 Automatic,
- Brother Xavier = Beat Cop, and
- Blood Eclipse = anything really but usually UC, and/or a Pipe.
If you wanted to be a bit more thematic, then perhaps take Survival Knives, Guard Dogs, rather than guns and cops. This is untested and will likely be less effective but not everything is about power level.
SIDE ORDERS (Flex Slots)
These are fairly flexible slots, do with them what you will:
Take the Initiative was picked as nice encounter protection, especially in TFA where tests are a risk. Unexpected Courage is another good option. Drawn to the Flame was chosen to give a little more clue support in non combat turns (and potentially dig up more enemies if youre lucky). I used Rite of Seeking in this slot for a while but its a bit expensive particularly since it ideally wants Brother Xavier in play, and you really want that early cash for the brand. Other good off faction options include:
- a second Double or Nothing
- Delve Too Deep, or
- anything that takes your fancy. its a game enjoy yourself!
- Timeworn Brand x2 asap!
- Brother Xavier x2
- Blood Eclipse x2
- Keen Eye - this helps late campaign once more tokens are added to the bag, alternatively see Beat Cop (2) below, or
- Reliable - Shout out to @myriad in the comments below for highlighting this. I have yet to try it but in principal this should play a similar role to the passive +1 offered by Beat Cops but without hogging the ally slot, or breaking theme. Note that on the Brand it will give you +2 on the once per game ability since it adds to both and .
- "I've had worse…" - Mainly for the horror protection, but more cash for keen eye always is nice.
- Vicious Blow (2) - more damage is more damage.
- Charisma for story allies, or optionally moving away from theme a little and adding Beat Cop (2)s as well as Brother Xavier.
- Stick to the Plan - Note that your only targets are: Prepared for the Worst, On the Hunt, which means you wont get the full benefit, but its still worth it. Both those cards are MVPs here.
- Monster Slayer - yet more burst for non boss VP enemies.
FIRST SERVICE (The Mulligan)
SOMETHING STIRS (Encounter handling & Enemy Tutoring)
- On the Hunt is ideal for setting up Scene of the Crime/Evidence! (see below for clues), fishing out VP enemies, "spawn: at XXX" or aloofs. With Zoey's Cross down any 1hp enemy can be auto killed which means this can be similar to skipping an encounter card altogether. Similarly "Let me handle this!" lets you grab enemies drawn by other players and weirdly Smite the Wicked plays into this set a little at least.
- With Brother Xavier down you will have 5 and a ton of hp/san soak available letting you deal with a number of treacheries. Failing that you have plenty of pips available. Take the Initiative can be used here or on tests. Note that in the mythos phase no investigator has spent any actions yet so its is a full card. It also potentially lets you evade a little if needed.
- Ward of Protection should be saved for asset destruction cards like this or other particularly rough encounter cards. Asset hate (another example here) is another reason to play those Machetes even if you have a Brand in play.
BREAD AND BUTTER (Enemy Handling)
- Day to day combat is simple. Youre aiming to attack at base of 6. You want to be 3 above test strength on hard and this covers you for enemies upto 3. Get The Brand down asap, this will kill most things with one or two hits.
- Reliable, Overpower or other skill pips may be needed on higher combat enemies. Notice that almost all the events and spare weapons have pips on them if needed. Alternatively if you dont mind a little theme detachment, keep the Beat Cops or grab Upgraded Cops for mid/late game accuracy.
- Zoey's Cross if you can find it, lets you deal with 3hp enemies with single actions if you draw them (these are much more common as of TFA), and makes short work of annoying 1hp enemies like Acolytes or Whippoorwills. Vicious Blow can be used in a similar way on 3hp enemies, you rarely need it for larger things since you have other bursts, which leads me to:
ZANTETSUKEN ! ! (Burst damage)
Ok i know thats not a cooking term (Zantecooken?), but some of us have spent too much time playing final fantasy games to miss an opportunity like that ...anyway...
Almost all scenarios have some form of boss or mini boss type enemy. Usually monster traited with at least 4 or 5 hp and VP. On the Hunt and "Let me handle this!" help ensure they end up engaged with you. The deck then has a few options to dispatch them fast:
- Both Timeworn Brand's in built once per game attack and Blood Eclipse can attack for 4 damage with a base of 8/7 skill (ie they dont miss easily). 9/8 skill with Brother Xavier down.
- Either of these can be an 8 damage attack with Double or Nothing. If somehow base 9 or 10 isnt looking enough to land the blow, Take the Initiative, Overpower or all the other pips should put you in range.
- Alternatively Double or Nothing + Vicious Blow on a regular Brand attack is still hitting at base 8 & 6 damage so its fine for lower high hp enemies especially with a boost from Keen Eye or skill card pips.
- finally Blood Eclipse can be used to self detonate Brother Xavier for a bonus 2 damage on top of the actual attack (its not direct damage). Or if you're wanting to keep him in play take the hit on yourself and save his HP as compensation for the HP loss.
ZANTECLUEKEN ? ... ! (Clues)
yeah ok that ones even more tenuous but I spent hours fighting ruby weapon and I have to get this out of my system
This should be fairly self explanatory in combination with the encounters section but:
- use On the Hunt, "Let me handle this!" and sort of Smite the Wicked let you get enemies in play to play Scene of the Crime and Evidence!.
- Drawn to the Flame (if you took it) offers a little extra enemy independent cluing and can potentially draw into enemies if you get lucky, otherwise you have a ton of encounter protection if needed.
- Late game you should start to be rich so if youve picked up Keen Eye, then feel free to burn a little cash on it to investigate. You can combine it with the pips on Evidence! if needed rather than waiting for an opportune kill.
As ever, thanks for reading! I would love to hear thoughts and experiences.