The Ornate bow has to have been one of the most impactful cards in the Forgotten age Cycle, simply because it is the only weapon that straight-up fights via . Here's my experience with it:
Ornate bow is fantastic. But bear in mind that it has severe limitations that drastically change the way you approach combat.
- It has "infinite" uses but only ever one loaded shot at a time.
At once a big problem and incredibly flavourful. As an character sneaking around the periphery taking shots is exactly what you would be doing, the design of the bow achieves this in how carefully you must approach combat. You need to be ready to evade when you fight big threats, you take your time to load and plot shots.
To be effective with a bow, NEVER forego reloading it. The characters who put the bow to the best use need high , but more importantly they need a synergizing cardpool. A 3 character with the right cards is a way better archer then a 4 one without. The cardpools in question are: and .
The bow has a worthy bonus to hit, a 3 character is making shots at +5. The important part is being able to supplement the accuracy with cards that magnify the hit chance or "arrow efficiency". Live and Learn and Lucky! are HUGE backup cards for when you draw a really bad token while Sleight of Hand and Double or Nothing help you get a little more out of your bow. Narrow Escape lets you reload under pressure. Leo De Luca helps you get more shots inbetween evades. Lola Santiago, Peter Sylvestre and Track Shoes all help you net hits, not to mention several skill-pump talents, Cornered or High Roller. If you can play cards then Shrivelling covers you while the bow is empty and Premonition helps land big hits. The bow as an weapon cannot use Vicious Blow but Venturer will keep your bow loaded for you!
Watch out for the resource cost. 4 is quite a lot, but the bow is absolutely worth it. The double hand slot is much more a nuisance because it blocks Lockpicks.
So. Who can use it best?
- Wendy Adams, Silas Marsh and Rita Young all have good cardpools for it and great stats, especially Wendy whose accuracy is unmatched thanks to her ability.
- Agnes Baker has a good cardpool for archery, once you combine the bow, spells and her ability she's easily the strongest combat in the game and very flexible too.
- Sefina Rousseau, "Skids" O'Toole and Finn Edwards all have great cardpools and stats for the bow, it really shines in Sefina who can supplement it with spells and attack events and can afford to land headshots every now and then.
- Rex Murphy, while the cardpool has next to no synergy with the bow, Rex can just borrow some cards, his limitations block Lucky! and Double or Nothing but he can do Track Shoes and Live and Learn. The shoes are pretty great for a .
- "Ashcan" Pete and Jenny Barnes both have nice cardpools for archery but both also have other techniques to fight, bringing in the bow is viable but will result in rather complex decks that double-dip and .
Thats it. I've used the bow to dig through surprisingly densely packed hellholes, now you go do the same! Remember this mantra: Shoot - Evade - Reload.