- "As If": Some card effects allow an investigator to resolve an ability or perform an action as if a certain aspect of the game state were altered, using the text “as if…” to indicate the difference. The indicated ability or action is resolved with the altered game state in mind, but the actual game state remains unchanged.
- This includes all steps of the indicated ability/action, including the paying of its costs, attacks of opportunity (where applicable), and resolving each aspect of its effect.
- Other card abilities or game effects do not resolve with the altered game state in mind; only the indicated ability/action. - FAQ, v.1.7, March 2020
Deals with "Devils"
Uses (3 secrets).
: Attach a non-weakness Spell event from your hand to Dayana Esperence. Limit 1 event attached to her.
The attached event may be played as if it were in your hand. It is not placed in your discard pile after it is played (it remains attached). As an additional cost to play the attached event, exhaust Dayana Esperence and spend 1 secret.
I think the new Dream-Eaters cycle gives Dayana Esperence so much more variety to experiment with. She can help investigating (Read the Signs), become an awesome battlemage (Spectral Razor), help fragile mystics move around (Ethereal Form) or even become sort of an arcane initiate replacement (Lucid Dreaming or Word of Command). Some of these options may be a little expensive, but should be no problem for Diana Stanley, Agnes Baker or even a resourceful Jim Culver. What a fantastic expansion to an already fabulous ally.
Looks like the best spell to attach is Blood-Rite! This combo can be used with Akachi Onyele, Jim Culver and Marie Lambeau. Of these, I like it with Marie Lambeau best because she can also attach her special event, Mystifying Song, to give the investigator(s) up to 3 extra turns!
This chick rocks. the thing is she probably rocks in more ways then you realize, or for reasons you don't realize (yet).
Up front, she's expensive, but she brings to the table a lot of beef to tank with, she can outlast scenarios that try to kill allies and she can soak for you, pretty useful to a .
Then there's the ability to triple a spell event, this bit is obviously the thing you take Dayana Esperence for. The immediate thought might be some classics like Ward of Protection or Blinding Light, but really, the real winner is Deny Existence, it's free to play and keeps on giving! There's also a bunch of oddball picks, such as:
- Mind Wipe, easily my second fave to combo on Dayana, blanking the effects and the pain on chaff bad guys for round after round can be every bit as good as killing them, it can ease off the pressure from a bad situation and open a window for you to play other cards you need before you can make the bad guy go away for good (or just rush the end of the scenario).
- Time Warp, the value you get in rewinding repeatedly can be crazy, especially in multiplayer.
- Father Mateo can do this combo: Alter Fate, holy shit this is a valuable combo in certain campaigns, it's brutally good in Dunwich and Circle, less so in Carcosa.
The cards above sometimes don't normally warrant a full deckslot unsupported, but with the possibility of tripling their effects and by the merit of them being cheap they're actually great with Dayana, partially because she is expensive to play in the first place. Right after the above i'dd have to pick:
- Counterspell, it's a little expensive to play 3 times, but the effect is undeniable crazy good, safely traversing big bad tokens will win you certain scenarios, an effect that only ever grows more powerful the later in the campaign you get.
- Ward of Protection at every level, especially Ward of Protection(2). This one is painful to play 3 times, especially if you already gimp your sanity with Arcane research. Much more playable if you have 2 copies of Deny Existence in the deck.
Perhaps the standout bad way to play her is attack events, Blinding Light is a weak card and Storm of Spirits, while good, is too expensive to be playing 3 times! You can support this strategy with Four of Cups, the right accessories and XP assets, but that's a lot ofXP and a LOT of resources. Playing Dayana and 3x Blinding Light is 7 resources and you haven't even started to boost your chances yet.
Can't wait to try this card out . There are so many powerful options that you can attach to her. One underrated option that I want to attempt is Moonlight Ritual. Let's say you're Marie with both David Renfield and De Vermis Mysteriis running. This would allow you to run really high on doom effects knowing that doom cancellation is right there on tap multiple times. Marie can also take Truth from Fiction as a splash card, along with a number of really good insight cards to recur. You could potentially use Moonlight Ritual up to 5 times (or more with recursion), allowing you to run with big resources, semi-permanent will boost from Renfield and the ability to keep replaying key spells. I'm not quite there yet with the deck, but it could be a lot of fun.
The other one I like of course is Deny Existence. Multiple cancels on tap is great, esp if you're playing a more fighty mystic like Akachi. Ward of Protection for certain scenarios would be insanely useful, Blood-Rite would be great of course. For certain big money mystic builds the forthcoming Storm of Spirits(3) could be in play.
Oh, and I should add that the 3 health on this ally is great.
There are so many great spell events to choose from. Deny Existence Drawn to the Flame, Uncage the Soul, etc. Since she works on secrets you can use Truth from Fiction to increase her uses. I think she would be fun to build around.
How does this card interact with Mystifying Song or The Painted World? Are they removed from the game after one use because Dayana only prevents events attached to her from being discarded? I'm aware Sefina Rousseau can't take Dayana Esperence herself, but in some unlikely setup, she might get her if someone uses Teamwork.